Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Obey

No, this 52-min film by Temujin Doran is not about Stanley Milgram's experiments. It's a selective summary of the ideas contained in Chris Hedges' 2010 book, The Death of the Liberal Class, a short book with a small by enthusiastic following, which I highly recommend. To say that Hedges is pessimistic about the future is an understatement. Among other things, he addresses the question of what we should do when we (quite rationally) conclude that the human situation is hopeless.


The film uses negative photographic images and electronic music that I suspect most people will find annoying after a while. I certainly did. I've thought of several possible explanations for these choices, but none that I'm willing to state with confidence.

Chris Hedges publishes a short article each week at Truthdig. You can keep track of them on my blogroll.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome.